Saturday March 2nd 2019
The Plano Jazz Invitational provides students with positive and life changing experiences through interactions with outstanding musicians and educators. The PJI is a day of learning, excitement, and growth with students surrounded by inspiring musicians, educators and peers.
What makes the PJI Unique?
- Morning and afternoon Q&A sessions with PJI Featured Guest Artist George Colligan.
- Morning and afternoon Rhythm Section Masterclasses with PJI Staff.
- Morning and afternoon Jam Sessions for students run by PJI staff.
- Adjudication by current or retired public educators with extensive jazz experience.
- Prelims/Finals format with the top 3 HS groups plus the Outstanding MS group from the day performing for an audience of their peers at the evening concert.
- Recorded comments from all 3 judges for detailed real-time feedback on your performance.
- Re-cap sheets with scores from all 3 judges organized by caption.
- Caption awards for outstanding WW's, Trumpets, Trombones, Rhythm Section, and Soloists.
- Numerous on-site areas for students to hang out/mingle and store gear.
- Director hospitality room with food, drinks, and snacks available throughout the day.
NEW for 2019-Non-Varsity Track
- NON-competitive performance opportunity
- 1 hour Full-Band Masterclass with New Orleans based Saxophonist and Educator Scott Johnson
- Includes full access to all Masterclasses, Q&A's, Jam Sessions, and Evening Concert
- Gives non-varsity or developing groups an option to participate in the Festival without the pressure of competition
- George Colligan – Jazz Pianist/Educator
- Phil Alvarado - Jazz Educator (Garland ISD/Richardson ISD Retired)
- David Pierce - Jazz Educator/Arranger (Essentially Ellington Finalist (Southlake Carroll) - Denton Based Composer Arranger)
- Tonia Matthews - Jazz Educator (Austin ISD - Essentially Ellington Finalist)
- Mark De Hertogh – Director (Director Plano Jazz Program, One O'Clock Lab Band)
- Adam Hutcheson – Saxophone/Improvisation (One O’Clock Lab Band, NYC Based)
- Jonny Harmon – Drums/Percussion (UNT Jazz Alumni)
- Jacob Smith – Bass/Rhythm Section (One O’Clock Lab Band, Local Professional)
- Scott Johnson – Saxophone/Improvisation/Band Masterclasses (New Orleans Based, Delfayo Marsalis Band)
- Featuring George Colligan along with members of the PJI staff
- Complimentary tickets provided for all attending students, directors, and chaperones.
- Additional tickets for Parents and General Public will be available for $10 each at the door prior to the concert.